Monday, October 31, 2016

Rose & Thorn by Sarah Prineas Book Review

Title: Rose and Thorn
Author: Sarah Prineas
Publisher: HarperTeen; HarperCollins
Publication Date: October 2016
Genre: Retelling
Rate: 4/5

Synopsis:
           
After the spell protecting her is destroyed, Rose seeks safety in the world outside the valley she had called home. She’s been kept hidden all her life to delay the three curses she was born with—curses that will put her into her own fairy tale and a century-long slumber. Accompanied by Griff, the handsome and mysterious Watcher, and Quirk, his witty and warmhearted partner, Rose tries to escape from the ties that bind her to her story. But will the path they take lead them to freedom, or will it bring them straight into the fairy tale they are trying to avoid?

I received an advanced review copy (arc) of this book from HarperCollins International. So much thanks for giving me the chance to read it before it can be released to the public. As I always love and cherish their books to the deepest parts of my heart.

            I’ve not yet read enough retellings (of the fairytales) to say I’m really into retellings. I’ve probably have read a two or more. This particular book is about a retelling of Sleeping Beauty in the most exact and realistic events possible that we could relate to this modern times. As it has been said it retells the story in a “big, bold way.”

            Yes, it does in fact. I’ve loved fairytales all my life but after reading this book I think I kind of understand something that I wasn’t able to before not yet reading this book. It is basically a story of a girl who had been protected and is now fighting against the default tale we know. Here the Stories (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the beast, etc.) is meant to happen again and again and again in an unending cycle experienced by different persons.

            Rose, our main character (MC) is trying and fighting to escape her destiny or might as well say it her enemy(the Story itself). She wants to make her own choices, make use of her will and love who she wants. She doesn’t want to be another girl who will sleep for another hundred years. The love interest here is my favourite kind; the guy who shuts people out because they think of him as unfeeling and is not capable of love. Find out how these two will find their way to each other.

            This book is just of the medium pace but I find myself wanting to read the following chapter after the next just because. This book has all the most significant and topics of this present time, abuse, sexuality, love. And yes I’ve never read a fairytale come to life retelling as bold as this one. Might as well grab one if you see it in a bookstore somewhere.


Displaying wordswag_1477826940752.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

bookkeeper's most visited