Sunday, March 1, 2015

ARC Review: A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas




Title: A Wicked Thing
Author: Rhiannon Thomas
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date published: February 15, 2015
Source: HarperCollins International

            I received a copy of this book as an ARC (Advanced Readers Copy) from Harpercollins International. I wish to review this book not because I’m compelled to do but I wanted to. All words in this review are solely my own.

            I’ve always loved retellings, especially retellings of childhood fairytales, because who knows they might be the real possibility instead of a happy ever after, which seems pretty more realistic.
My favorite fairytale I think is Beauty and the Beast but I haven’t read any retellings of it. If you happen to know please recommend me that book. Sleeping Beauty was good too, I think. It’s just I don’t think Aurora did more than that be a bit of a rebel and strong-willed but I like my girls that way.

            This retelling by Shannon Thomas was pretty convincing. To be honest I think it’s more realistic than what Disney portrayed. If I was Aurora, I wouldn’t marry a man I just met; after all we’re not like Anna from Frozen. If you wake up after a decade and your family is dead and some Prince claims you, wouldn’t you as a person feel like you have to make yourself your own and move on first? That isn’t pretty realistic even in fiction.

            In this version, Aurora is forced to do what the people want her to do but then, instead of doing what she’s wanted to do, a strong-willed girl that she is, does exactly the opposite. It is what a real princess should do, fight for what she believes in. And then there is this boy here who Aurora seemed to like instead of the Prince who kissed her awake. He’s a rebel and a worker but he has that determination to have revenge for his family. But honestly though, I kind of like the Prince better for her. He’s humble, shy, sweet and very loyal to the Princess, but Aurora seems to think of it like it’s rather a weakness. I just wish that in the next book, hopefully they’ll be developed.

            Overall, it was a thrilling ride for a fantasy book, with all the plot twists and reality that overflows out of it. I finished it in one night, so if you are looking for a good retelling this should be it.

Rate: 4/5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. For a book that you've finished in just one night says a lot. I am also a fan of retelling but not all the retellings I read are any good. My best retelling so far is The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. It's a series that incorporates the story of Cinderella, Red Riding hood, Rupunzel and Snow White. I highly recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete

bookkeeper's most visited