Sunday, June 14, 2015

Book Review: Joyride by Anna Banks

Title: Joyride
Author: Anna Banks
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Date Published: June 2, 2015
Rating: 5/5 stars


Synopsis:
 Who says opposites don't attract?
It's been several years since Carly Vega's parents were deported. Carly lives with her older brother, studies hard, and works the graveyard shift at a convenience store to earn enough to bring her parents back from Mexico.
Arden Moss used to be the star quarterback at school. He used to date popular blondes and have fun pranking with his older sister. But now all that's changed, and Arden needs a new accomplice. Especially one his father, the town sheriff, will disapprove.
All Carly wants, at first, is to stay under the radar and do what her family expects. All Arden wants is to not do what his family expects. When their paths cross, they each realize they've been living according to the wishes of others. Carly and Arden's journey toward their true hearts - and one another-- is funny, romantic, and sometimes harsh. Just like real life.

Review:

Have I mentioned I adore humorous reads to death? No? Well, I do. This is why I love Anna Banks to the ends of every fictional world. What’s on a book that’s all serious, too much drama and sadness? I’m not really much on those. We read to make ourselves feel happy and light in contrast to what we’re feeling in real life. And books by Anna Banks (and also by Kasie West can do all that.)

I’ve never remembered cracking up so much than reading any other book except by Anna Banks. Her jokes and punch lines in all her books get my tummy aching and laughing out loud. I never laugh out loud. I’m the silent, serious, shy type but when I read any of Anna’s books I giggle to death. That relaxation I get from reading Ana’s books are so worth it. I don’t think I can ever repay her.

 This book is easily the new best contemporary read of the year. Carly and Arden are on the list of my favorite couples this year. There are so much feels in this book you actually have to:




Yeah, seriously, I mean that. The plot of the book revolves around unconditional teenage life struggles, financial status as love barrier, and racial discrimination. So it was awesome, very original compared to any other books I’ve read. I’ve read a book about Mexican cartel and the like issues from Kiss Kill Vanish by Jennifer Martinez but this book is really incomparable. I usually can’t help but compare books to other books I’ve read in the past and perhaps say this book is like this book+this book+this book, but Joyride by Ana Banks, I can’t. The plot is a high ten-a perfect score for me.

The characters are very inspiring and unpredictable not like other characters. A ten too. Not like other books. Carly is poor and works hard for her family. You rarely see that, what you see in reality the other way around. It inspires me to be more like her. I really want to be like her. Actually now, I’m thinking of getting a decent job that pays me in my extra shift whilst studying in college so I can support my bookish needs and education and stop depending on my wretched parents. Arden is the exact opposite of Charlie. He’s rich and a happy-go-lucky-guy. But not all of us are perfect; we all have struggles, Arden on his relationship to his parents and Carly to money and her brother.

Opposites do attract. Magnets can even prove that. As Carly and Arden found their way to each other, they learned that there is more to doing what is and is not expected of you. There is more to life than just existing for other people. There are more of you that you have yet to discover. You live the life that was given to you by enjoying and living it for yourself, and not solely dedicating it to others, especially when you’re still young. Ten also to character development. Pacing is all good as well.

So if you need a swoon-worthy and fiercely funny book, I urge you to read and have this book, it’s worth the feels and the tummy ache.

Add the book on your TBR List: Goodreads
Get your copy here: AmazonITBDIKobo

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to read this book but never got the chance! Anyway, seeing how inspiring the character is, I wanted to read it even more. Also the swoon-worthy part had me, really!

    ReplyDelete

bookkeeper's most visited