Friday, May 22, 2015

Finding Paris by Joy Preble Book Review



Title: Finding Paris
Author: Joy Preble
Publisher: B+B
Date Published: April 15, 2015

I received a copy of this book for review from HarperCollins International. Many thanks to them for entrusting me the advanced readers copies (ARCs) of the books they publish and believing in me that I will make a good book review to encourage more readers and share the book love to people. All thoughts on this review are my own.

At first thought, this book is very much alike to Paper Towns, I haven’t read Pare Towns but I know. I was just wandering what it is about disappearing and getting lost, it’s very common in books today like Gone Girl, Paper Towns, Let’s Get Lost; it kind of inspires me to get lost as well. I don’t know why but I like these books. There’s something more than just getting lost you know? Like they may get lost in different kind of ways but I think I’ve figured out why people would like to get lost, it’s not to be found, but to find their own selves. To find who they really are when they are not sure of it, to find their true selves and never get back in losing themselves ever again.

There’s nothing more heartwarming than a close relationship to a sibling or someone. Leo and Max are sisters, they’re best friends, it’s a rarity yes but they are. Paris is the older sister just by some few years and Leo is the little sister, but instead of Paris looking out for Leo, it had always been the other way around. They only have each other because as always parents suck at parenting. Paris ditched Leo in a restaurant at 3 am leaving clues for her to solve to find her sister, wherever she went.

Max, a guy the sisters both met at the diner willingly offered to help Leo in finding her sister. Leo wasn’t sure why, but maybe because he too is like her sister, lost and needed to find himself. As the loyal little sister she goes even beyond her country just to find out what her sister had been doing. Or at least thinking she found out what happened to her. But bam THE PLOT TWIST like I did not see that coming. Totally did not. I nearly bawled my eyes out as the secrets came out. If only I wasn’t at the office reading this book.

The characters of this book are very whole and broken. They’re formed and flawed, both weak and strong. It was what made them interesting and worth reading even fighting for. A mystery, a road trip, a romance, a tragedy all in one. This book is full of that familial feeling that you feel for someone you consider as family. A family turned wrong. This book is like family, like a sister, it’s compassionate, hopeful and devastating. Worth the read even if my heart hurts reading it.


4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

bookkeeper's most visited